My boyfriend and I made a pasta dish a few months ago that we quickly deemed one of the best dishes we’d ever made together.
Last night, I brought it back with a few variations from our original creation.
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta
- 8oz baked chicken breasts (about 1.5 breasts)
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- handful baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more as desired
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar + more as desired
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano to taste
1. Bake 1 package of chicken breasts for 30 minutes at 400* (I let them marinade first in Wegmans Lemon & Garlic Marinade)
2. About 15 minutes before the chicken is done, put the pasta into a pot of boiling water. Put the pepper strips and the baby bella mushrooms into a pan with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil (I didn’t measure this, but a tbsp each is probably sufficient). Cover the veggies with a lid.
3. When the chicken is done, take it out of the oven and cut into cubes. I used about 1.5 breasts for this dish, and saved the rest to put on salads during the week.
4. Stir the veggies every few minutes. They are done when the peppers have softened.
5. When the pasta is finished, drain the water and put the pasta back into the pot. Add in the cubed chicken and sautéed peppers and mushrooms.
6. Stir it all up and add more oil if it’s dry. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano to taste.
- Use turkey sausage instead of chicken
- Add onions to your sautéed veggies
- Sprinkle in shredded cheese at the end (I’ve used an Italian blend of Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano Reggiano – it’s so good!)